Garfield Golf Club (GGC) was formed in March 1929. The original course was on Mont Albert Road and the first game was played on June 1st 1929.
In 1934 GGC joined the West Gippsland Golf Association (now Golf West Gippsland).
GGC relocated to 13 Mile Road in 1947 and was a 9 hole course.
In 1964 GGC purchased part of the land the course was on plus some neighbouring land and set about building a new course which opened the following year.
The course was designed by George Naismith, a well known professional golfer of the era.
1968 saw the introduction of grass greens to replace the sand scrape greens.
In 1974 GGC recorded its first Pennant Championship.
A new, fully licenced Clubhouse was built in 1981.
In 1989 some additional land was acquired to extend the course to 18 holes. New dams were also built and automated sprinkler systems were established. The new 18 hole course was opened on 6 April 1991.
GGC made the decision to replace the fairways with Legend couch in 1999 and over the following 6 years all fairways were returfed with Legend couch grass.
In 2000 Club Members Ewen Costain and Paul Wheeler were awarded the Australian Sports Medal for services to golf.
In June 2011 Daisy Thomas of Collingwood Football Club became just the 8th person to achieve the Super 6. This is achieved by landing on the green with the tee shot and getting Par or better for all six Par three holes.
Over the past twenty years significant improvements have been implemented in larger dams, installation of computerised sprinkler systems, remodelling of tees and greens plus tree plantings and tree management.
In 2021 Pacific Coast Design was commissioned to conduct a full review of the Course and make recommendations to improve the course and make it one of the best country courses in Australia. GGC is using the recommendations as a guide for an extensive improvement program over the next few years. Many improvements have already been implemented including the new 3rd Hole which is now in play.
Works commence soon on a new 13th hole. This is on an unused section of the course and will not affect play.